When I bought my first gas grill, I enjoyed its versatility but missed charcoal and wood flavors. Since I didn’t have a real smoker for my ribs and brisket recipes, I knew it was time to find the right smoker box for my grill.
Smoker boxes are fantastic pieces of equipment that pitmasters use on gas grills to add layers of flavor they usually can’t achieve with gas alone. The best smoker box for a gas grill is built to last from durable metal and opens easily to add wood chips that fill your cook box with delicious flavors of apple, hickory, or mesquite infuse into your food.
Cast iron is one of the best metals for smoker boxes because it naturally withstands high temperatures. Even if you place it over a searing burner, the metal remains sturdy and intact. The notches allow smoke to seep out from the wood chips as they ignite and infuse your food with flavor.
Place smoker boxes on top of the grill grates or directly on a burner under the grill grates. The Broilmaster Cast Iron Smoking Box works with every kind of wood and doesn’t take up much space on your grill.
Best Smoker Box for Gas Grill 2021
Broilmaster Cast Iron Smoking Box
The Broilmaster Cast Iron Smoking Box withstands high temperatures every time you use it on gas, but it’s also the best smoker box for a charcoal grill. Users appreciate the small profile that allows them to use it on any sized or shaped grill. It’s lightweight, at only pounds You can easily pack it up and take it with you to camp or tailgate.
Even without a large, full-sized smoker, you can create your favorite, smoke-infused recipes on a gas grill. Use any combination of wood chips in this box to deliver flavor intensity each time you use it.
- Metal conducts heat well even at low temperatures
- Removable vented lid makes adding wood chips easy
- Enhances flavor and grilling experience with each use
- Fits on grill while leaving space for food
- Create custom wood chip blends for specialized flavors
- Expensive price point doesn’t fit into all budgets
- Requires heavy gloves to handle while hot
Mockins Stainless Steel BBQ Smoker Box
This smoker box’s durable stainless steel extends its life, giving you plenty of time to infuse your favorite flavors into your steaks, burgers, ribs, and chicken. It’s small enough to fit under your grill grate, meaning it can sit directly on top of a low-temperature burner and quickly fill your grill with smoke.
The unique hinged design allows users to open it, refill it if necessary, and close it again quickly, meaning your grill won’t lose heat or smoke. Pack it up and take it with you when camping, picnicking, or tailgating.
- Durable, anti-corrosive stainless steel
- Withstands high heat for hours of smoking, grilling
- Fits onto grill, does not take up space
- Lid features a durable hinge for easy opening
- Works well with all wood chunks and chips
- Holes on bottom may ignite wood inside box
- Smoke may not escape box quickly
Napoleon 67013 Stainless Steel Smoker Box
Napoleon’s wood smoker box is a great accessory for Napoleon Pro, Prestige, and Rogue series, but you can use it on any grill to add a delicious, smoky flavor to your meats. Pitmasters fill this smoker box with a lot of wood and let it smoke without tending to it often.
It’s a great deal for the money, fitting perfectly on most flame tamers and flavorizers. It weighs under 3 lbs, so it’s easy to carry and pack if you need to take it with you on the go. With this accessory, you’ll find it easier to smoke burgers, steaks, and chicken than ever.
- Durable stainless steel material
- Lightweight and easy to use anywhere you go
- Provides delicious smoky flavors while using gas grills
- Large capacity reduces the need to refill wood constantly
- Can replace grill’s searing plates to smoke instead
- Grill accessory for Napoleon brand grills
- Won’t fit on smaller, more portable grills
Cave Tools Smoker Box
Cave boasts one of the most durable products on the market. This box is 25% thicker than other boxes, which prevents your wood from catching on fire when in use. It won’t warp due to the smart design and enjoys a longer life span. The hinge on the box offers accessibility, so users don’t need to handle hot lids when needing to refill.
Users fit a lot of wood inside the box, which translates into thicker smoke for the food you’re cooking. Place it between the flavorizer bars under your cooking grid or directly on the charcoal without worrying about the chips catching on fire since there are no holes in the box’s bottom.
- 25% thicker than competitor designs, prevents warping
- Hinged lid offers ease of access during cooking
- Brand offers a lifetime satisfaction guarantee, full refunds
- Fits between flavorizers easily has large chip capacity
- Stainless steel construction is dependable and durable
- Cannot use pre-soaked wood chips
- Smoke can be hard to access
HoShip Smoker Box
HoShip manufactures its smoker box using thick stamped stainless steel. They designed it with thicker walls, bottom, and lid to allow it to tolerate the high temperatures needed to fill your cooking chamber with smoke-infused into your food. Grillers can place this smoker box directly on their burners without causing warping or other damage, and they’ll love that the hinged lid provides easy access for refilling.
It holds many wood chips, so fill it up and watch as thick smoke rolls across your cooking surface. You don’t need to fill it quite as often as other boxes, giving you the freedom to enjoy your day with family and friends instead of constantly refilling it while your food smokes.
- Construction prevents box from warping under high heat
- Great price point fits into most budgets
- Stamped stainless steel is thick and conducts heat
- Box holds liquid, wood chips for intense flavors
- Brand provides lifetime guarantee for full refunds
- Needs refilled every 20 minutes
- Cannot use cold smoke
Rwm Smoker Box
For grilling on the go or smaller setups on balconies and patios, the Rwm Smoker offers a low profile for easy grilling on compact grills. The vent design allows for lots of drafting and airflow that gets the smoke moving through your grill’s cooking box as soon as the chips start to smolder.
It holds over two cups of wood chips, so choose mesquite, hickory, cherry, or combine your favorites to create specialized flavors for your recipes. It works best over gas but can be used with charcoal, so feel free to use it with combination grills. Durability is ensured by the stainless steel material used to craft this box.
- Manufactured using durable stainless steel
- Conducts heat well to begin smoldering wood quickly
- Allows airflow through box, adding flavor to food
- Doesn’t warp, chip after use with high heat
- Dry wood chips don’t ignite when in place
- Small accessory needs refilling often
- Lid is not hinged, easy to lose on the go
Char-Broil Cast Iron Smoker Box
The durable cast iron material of this Char-Broil smokers box withstands high temperatures without breaking, shattering, and discoloration. It conducts heat well but will not ignite the wood, even without pre-soaking. It fits nicely on most grill tops but works best when placed directly on top of a gas burner under your cooking grid.
It’s lightweight, weighing just over 4 lbs., making it easy to set up. Load it up with your favorite wood chips and watch as thick smoke flows through the large vents in the lid, infusing your food with extra flavor.
- Crafted from durable cast iron
- Large vent holes direct smoke towards proteins
- Infuse smoke into food while cooking with gas
- No need to pre-soak chips. They won’t ignite
- Lightweight, compact design, weighs under 4 lbs.
- Edges of box and lid are sharp, jagged
- Must be placed directly over burner
- The Best Gas Grills Consumer Reports for 2021
- Top 10 Best Gas Grill Under $400 in 2021
- Top Best Gas Grills Under $500 for 2021
- The Best Portable Pellet Grill 2021 Reviews
- Top 10 Best Grill Tool Sets in 2021 Reviews
- The Best Small Gas Grills of 2021
Using a smoker box on your gas grill lets you infuse delicious flavors into your food, normally only achievable with smokers. They’re made from sturdy, strong metal that withstands extended exposure to high temperatures.
The Broilmaster Cast Iron Smoking Box is durable, made with strong cast iron. The large notches allow your smoke to easily flow onto your food, giving you the best flavors you can imagine to complement your recipes.